I’m writing with some exciting news about my documentary on Camp Kinderland, “Commie Camp.” The film premiered on June 28th at the VisionFest FIlm Festival at Tribeca Cinemas. “Commie Camp” broke a record with two sold out showings. Thanks soooo much to everyone who came out and showed their support. It was especially great to have people featured in the documentary present at the screenings, like campers who are now grown up (see photos above. Check out more pictures here!)
Also, director Katie Halper (that’s me) won an award for Technical and Artistic Achievement. There are a bunch of upcoming screenings. Please come out and spread the word to your friends!
- The San Francisco Jewish Film Festival on Sunday August 11th, at 2:20 at the beautiful art deco Grand Lake Theater. You can buy tickets here
- The Big Eddy Film Festival in Narrowsburg, NY. The date and time of the screening is TBA but the festival is from September 20-22.
- The Boston Jewish Film Festival on November 9th at 6:30pm
(TENTATIVELY. THE TIME MAY CHANGE) at the the Coolidge Corner Theatre, a 440-seat restored art-déco cinema.
There will be a screening on August 22nd at the Museum of the CIty of New York, but that sold out before I even put it up on Facebook or twitter or sent out an e-mail. We may do another screening in September. Check the website or e-mail me if you are interested in that.
Here are some reviews about the film:
- ‘Commie Camp’ Documentary Captures Camp Kinderland’s Idealism, and Its Imperfections in Tablet
- “Was Rush Limbaugh Right About ‘Commie’ Camp Kinderland?” in The Forward
- “Camp Kinderland Then and Now: Commie Camp” in Critics at Large
- Interview on the Matt Filipovics Show
- Interview on WBAI’s Beyond The Pale
- “The Importance of Commie Camp” by Robert Meeropol, director of the Rosenberg Fund for Children.
And here are some blurbs about the film:
“What a FILM! Thanks Katie, for the amazing story of Camp Kinderland. You will have tremendous success with it. Soon, the world will know how you and thousands of other innocent children were brainwashed and bent to the will of the communist conspiracy. Heartwarming family entertainment! LOVED IT!”
-Joe Gilford, Playwright, “Finks,” and Screenwriter.
“As I was heading into the screening of COMMIE CAMP, I thought, ‘A documentary about someone’s beloved progressive summer camp? This could be deadly.’ Well, I loved it. Katie Halper’s well paced film about the socially conscious summer camp that she and several generations of her family had been a part of was infused with a distinctive humor, insight and poignancy. While laughing out loud, I also noticed how well made the film was.”
– Aviva Slesin, Director, Academy Award winner for Best Feature Documentary for
The Ten Year Lunch
HOW YOU CAN HELP!
I am really trying to find a distributor for the movie so i can make a DVD and have some kind of theatrical run and get it on television/ Netflix/ Itunes etc. So if you know any, please send them my way. Please spread the word about screenings to your friends who live in the cities hosting them.Please visit CommieCamp.com for updates, follow @CommieCamp on Twitter and “Like” Commie Camp on Facebook