Still not convinced the mid-terms matter? Check out this great PSA video in which awesome people, including Joan Jett, Carrie Brownstein, Jemima Kirke, Lesley Gore, Tavi Gevinson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Sia, Hannah Simone, and Alia Shawkat, lip synch to Joan Jet’s 1980 hit Bad Reputation to get out the vote.
In case the video isn’t enough, the Department of Peace, “an art collective geared toward creating consciousness-raising content and inspiring young people toward political participation and community-oriented action,” provides some scary statistics to show how “the most regressive, anti-woman, anti-voting, anti-equality laws are being passed on the state level.”
• 29 states in America allow a rapist to sue a women for custody and/or visitation of the child birthed from that rape.
• 87 percent of all US Counties have no abortion provider.
• 35 percent of American women will have an abortion by the age of 45.
• In 35 states, Medicaid recipients do not have abortion coverage.
• In 13 states, a pharmacist can legally refuse to disperse birth control, even if you have a prescription.
• 26 states have waiting periods for abortion; only 11 have waiting periods for guns.
• In 17 states, the government forces women to go to counseling before she can have an abortion.
• In 32 states, terminally ill women are forced to carry a pregnancy to term, regardless of her wishes or her living will.
• More than 50 abortion clinics were shut down by unnecessary laws from 2010-2013. Not including the dozens that were shut in Texas in the last month.
And the song’s lyrics work pretty well!