Guess who thinks about having sex with two women? (Hint: nearly everyone.)
A recent study about sexual fantasies made some surprising discoveries and some unsurprising ones. The research project from the Université du Québec and the Philippe-Pinel Institute of Montreal, published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, analyzed the most common sexual fantasies. Researchers asked 1,516 participants to rate 55 sexual fantasies and then divided the fantasies into four categories: “statistically rare” (shared by 2.3 percent or fewer of participants), “statistically unusual” (shared by 15.9 percent or less of participants), “statistically common” (shared more than 50 percent) and “statistically typical” (shared by more than 84.1%).
Let’s take a look.
1. Fantasies about interracial sex are much more common among men. While only 27.5% of women reported fantasizing about having interracial sex, 61.2% of men said they had fantasized about it. So, this is a common fantasy among men, but not among women.
2. Oral sex for and by (nearly) everyone! Not surprisingly, both genders—78.5% of women and 87.6 of men—reported fantasizing about receiving oral sex. This means it’s a common fantasy for women and a typical one for men. Given that fellatio is more sanctioned, more openly discussed and more represented in film than cunnilingus, it’s not surprising that more men would fantasize about receiving oral sex. But what is surprising is that 78.1% of men had fantasized about performing cunnilngus and only 72.1% of women had fantasized about performing fellatio. I guess it’s time for Hollywood to catch up.
3. Romantic feelings are a fantasy? Who knew that “feeling romantic emotions during a sexual relationship” would not only be typical for men (88.3%) and women (92.2%) but the number one fantasy for both sexes! How wholesome!
4. Location, location, location: Atmosphere played an important role in fantasy for both men and women, with 81.2% of men and 86.4% of women stating that, “Atmosphere and location are important in my sexual fantasies.” Location was so crucial for women that their third and fourth most common fantasies were sex “in a romantic location (e.g. on a deserted beach)” and “in an unusual location (e.g. in the office; public toilet).”
5. Blowjobs, two women, cheating and location, location, location. It’s not that location isn’t important for men and their fantasies. It’s just that some other things are more important and some other fantasies more typical, like receiving oral sex (87.6%), having sex with two women (84.5%) and “having sex with someone that I know who is not my spouse” (83.4%). But after those two, the next most common fantasy for men is location based, with 82.3% having fantasized about sex in an unusual place.
6. Location, ejaculation, location. Lest you think only women fantasize about romantic locations, men do indeed fantasize about those, too. Sex in a romantic location is the ninth most common fantasy for men, coming in just behind the eighth most common fantasy for men, “Ejaculating on my sexual partner.”
7. Heterosexual fantasizing about observing and/or engaging in homosexual behavior. 56.5% of women fantasized about, “Having sex with more than three people, both men and women,” 42.4% fantasized about, “Watching two women make love,” 36.9% fantasized about, “having sex with two women,” and 35.7% fantasized about “Giving cunnilingus.” Men who identify as straight also exhibit these tendencies, with 26.8% fantasizing about giving fellatio and 45.2% fantasizing about having sex with two men.