On our first episode of the Live Katie Halper Show i front of an audience we talk to Jay Smooth, founder and host of The Underground Railroad and of the ill Doctrine video series. His videos have garnered millions of views and praise from people like Rachel Maddow who has called his work genius. Find out what Jay Smooth’s favorite drink and snack are, what he thinks of gun violence, Empire, gentrification and what his grandfather said about The Beatles in the New York Times.
Tag: gun violence
After 9-year-old fatally shoots instructor with an Uzi, gun range raises age minimum to 12
First, the bad news.
- A nine-year-old girl was learning how to use an Uzi sub-machine gun, when she lost control of it and wound up fatally shooting her instructor in the head at the Last Stop shooting range in White Hills, Arizona.
- Her parents filmed it on their cell phone.
- Charles Vaca, 39, is dead.
- A nine-year-old girl will be psychologically scarred for life because she witnessed the death of a man she killed accidentally.
- Parents will be psychologically scarred for life because they witnessed their nine-year-old daughter kill a man, accidentally, because they thought this was an age-appropriate activity.
- People think that kids should learn how to use Uzis.
- The shooting took place at a combined fast good restaurant and firing range.
- A combined fast food restaurant and firing range exists
- The tour company that brings people to the range is called Bullets and Burgers.
The Good News: Tragedies can serve as teachable moments. And that’s exactly what we see here. You see, before this death, the age minimum at the Last Stop shooting range was 8. I think we can all agree that that’s ridiculous. Especially when operating an Uzi. But now, a change has come. The age minimum is now twelve years old. And, as if that’s not already radical enough. the minimum height is five feet. Seems a little sizest and ageist to me, but safety first, I guess.
I know I feel a lot better. And I can’t help but think of this song.