First, the bad news.
- A nine-year-old girl was learning how to use an Uzi sub-machine gun, when she lost control of it and wound up fatally shooting her instructor in the head at the Last Stop shooting range in White Hills, Arizona.
- Her parents filmed it on their cell phone.
- Charles Vaca, 39, is dead.
- A nine-year-old girl will be psychologically scarred for life because she witnessed the death of a man she killed accidentally.
- Parents will be psychologically scarred for life because they witnessed their nine-year-old daughter kill a man, accidentally, because they thought this was an age-appropriate activity.
- People think that kids should learn how to use Uzis.
- The shooting took place at a combined fast good restaurant and firing range.
- A combined fast food restaurant and firing range exists
- The tour company that brings people to the range is called Bullets and Burgers.
The Good News: Tragedies can serve as teachable moments. And that’s exactly what we see here. You see, before this death, the age minimum at the Last Stop shooting range was 8. I think we can all agree that that’s ridiculous. Especially when operating an Uzi. But now, a change has come. The age minimum is now twelve years old. And, as if that’s not already radical enough. the minimum height is five feet. Seems a little sizest and ageist to me, but safety first, I guess.
I know I feel a lot better. And I can’t help but think of this song.